1.15.2012

ten thousand



I recently read that if you really want to be good at something, you need to practice 10,000 hours.


This got me thinking.

10,000 hours.  Really?  So 10 years of practicing 3 hours a day --- I can become a master in my subject.

This was huge to me because I am so prone to quit something if I don't grasp it right away with the 'aww-I'm-no-good-at-this-mentality'.  Dumb, I know.

So I began to approach this whole knit-a-sock-saga that has been going on for.ever. in a whole different light.

Who cares if I don't become Master Knitter within minutes of picking up a DPNs?  Why the pressure for pete's sake?  This may take years -- not minutes...

...good grief, why was I beating myself up about this?



So it's back to my delicious Felici yarn from my darling (you can do this, Dawn!) friend, Andi and I approached these socks with a whole different attitude.



Relaxed (for a change) I absolutely fell in love with the feel of these as they formed in my hands.  Boy, oh, boy -----> soft, soft, SOFT.  This was the feeling that I was craving and it was right there...in my lap.




Okay.  I realize it's just one sock so far.  But there is a fire deep within that has been lit & the welling up that I feel is proof to my husband/kids that I do need a nice padded room has been ignited and if you hear hootin' & hollerin' that's just me ----> on fire with the knowledge that I can truly knit socks. 

And knit socks I shall do.



16 comments:

Sally said...

Dawn: That sock is FABULOUS! You should be so proud of yourself! I know I am! Keep up the good work. You can do it.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic Dawn!

Aisyah Helga said...

Woohoo!! Go Dawn go!! I have exactly the same mentality! I gave up on learning how to knit after some failed attempts :p will try again when I have the time! Anyway, love the yarn colors! I wish you all the luck in the world!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the yarn, LOVE the pictures!!!
xo,
wink

Anna said...

Beautiful socks for happy feet !
Hug
Anna

Marilyn said...

even if it's only one of each...maybe we can find a one-footed pirate somewhere...
well done on the persevering. I know that "ah ha" moment only too well and always, always, wonder why "didn't I do this before?" maybe you've found the secret...it takes only 10,000 hrs to learn something...sometimes longer!!!
Andi does have that way about her...making you feel like you can do it...

Everlasting said...

Wow! Great sock and nice colors!
I love making socks since I use the MagicLoop method and I can not stop making them.
As always, so nice pictures :)

Pradeepa said...

What lovely colours! I don't think I will ever learn to knit. I quit after trying once.

...tiktakro... said...

As I can see here, you don't need the 10,000 hours of practicing at all :D....you are mastering crocheting, knitting, tatting....( I didn't go further on your blog, yet ;) .
Keep going...it is true : simple pleasures in life makes it wonderful for living.

hafza said...

I Love the color and your work is just fantastic!!... I don't think I will learn to knit again ...

annemarie said...

This was a wonderful post - I am drooling over your socks and that beautiful yarn. I am prone to be a quitter also - especially when it comes to double pointed needles. I loved it when you said "for pete's sake" - thought I was the only one that said that!! I wonder who Pete was??

Marifetane hobi said...

Merhabalar, tasarımlarınız blogunuz harika..ben çok beğendim yeniden görüşmek üzere sevgiler..

Bari Jo said...

Oh those are WONDERFUL! That is my dream some day - to knit socks... and I LOVE the yarn you picked! I am just trying to learn to knit again - been taught twice now and worked on a few wee projects... forgot about it and have the bug now... socks scare me but I hope to conquer that fear once I can get better at understanding instructions etc.... thanks for the inspiration!! Have a great weekend!

Krawuggl said...

Your sock is really wonderful, looks perfect and exactly as all the socks one could see here in blogland. No difference between a first sock and a twentysecond sock, and I am not kidding. A sock is a sock and your sock is as a good sock should be - soft and with a long ribbed border to keep your ancles warm and stay in place, it suits your feet like a glove and the colour is very lovely, looks like the first primula buds in spring.
You did a fantastic job (my first sock was really awful, I have used too thick needles and all was floppy and simply ugly), so please stay with it to be one near day the very proud owner of a pair of handmade socks!
With my very best wishes for a cosy weekend with your needles,
Suzi

Rani said...

YOU. CAN. DO. IT!

I am laughing because I went from knitting socks to crocheting and, boy, is that a fun transition. No dropped stitches, the wool just FLIES through your fingers.

But the socks. Ah. The socks. I even knit the exact same colorway and yes, my dear - it took a long damn time. But the final product is a marvel. The challenge is - how to wear them without looking too dweeby. I'm still struggling with that.

Happy Knitting.

Penny said...

Dearest dawn
It feels like I have not visited your beautiful blog forever,I am so enchanted at your sock knitting and totally appreciate how you feel about conquering DPN's ! It is such an amazing feeling when you put your first completed sock on.You go girl...they are looking fabulous xox