5.20.2008

no more hoopla

Phewwwww. Here is my first attempt at hand-quilting. And. it. is. finished. Key words for me.

I was using a 14 inch hoop and found it quite difficult to maneuver/transport/carry. Well, lo and behold, I saw this beautiful book, written by Suzanne Marshall and she does not use a hoop when hand-quilting her quilts. I couldn't believe it--she has this huge quilt on her lap and she manipulates the quilt and needle w/o a bulky hoop.

(Here is one of her gorgeous books)

Could this be possible?

Well... I decided to drop the hoop and set this small quilt on my lap and found the stitching to be so much easier. My stitches were even smaller and more consistent. And Suzanne is right--you rock the fabric up and down to meet the needle and it is quicker and not so strenuous on the hands.

Previously I planned to add a busy, flowered border but it seemed to take away from the simplicity of this small quilt. So I just added a plain matching fabric binding.

Now, granted--there are a few puffy places, but this is such a huge accomplishment for me because I could not believe that I could attempt something like this---but more remarkable...I actually finished it. Small steps, but now I can not wait to do something a bit more challenging.


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent! Your hand quilting is beautiful! Georgia Bonesteel also "lap quilts". I am glad to hear that doing it without a hoop is easier for you. I know that sometimes we can put undo stress on our hands.

Suzy said...

It looks amazing! I love whole cloth quilts. You did a wonderful job! You must be very excited to not only say you've done it, but it's completed! Woo hoo! :o)

Cathie said...

How inspiring! That quilt is beautiful, and knowing that you did it by hand is very encouraging! Maybe I'll try that too...... someday... *grin*

I know whenever I finish something--especially something new--I feel relieved and proud both at once. Guess I'm always afraid I won't finish; too many UFOs over the years, maybe. *sheepish grin*

Your work is so beautiful. I think you finished it with the right binding, too. It enhances the quilting.

jacquie said...

Absolutely beautiful. You should be proud. I'm going to give the no hoop a try. Easier on my hands sounds good.

Jenna said...

Your quilt looks beautiful. You did an amazing job with the hand quilting. I found working with a hoop a big pain too. I asked a lady at the local guild if I really needed the hoop and she told me no. It makes it so much easier, right? I'm glad to see your end result came out so well.

QuiltedSimple said...

EXCELLENT JOB!! Your stitches are beautiful.

Kris

Darlene said...

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job - pat yourself on the back. Way to go!

Dandelion Quilts said...

I had to show the Director and even he was impressed. You are so talented. Very neat.

Mar said...

WOW, fantastic! I wouldn't have thought this was your first!

meggie said...

Well Done!!

Knot Garden said...

Wow, it's beautiful. I've never managed to get the hang of using a hoop either, and find hand quilting a lot easier without one. I love the pretty detail in the corners. You should feel very proud!

Anonymous said...

Your quilting looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! When I saw the first photo, I thought you did machine quilted!! The stitches are so pricise and small and consistent!! I never thought quilting without hoop but I should try it someday.
Thanks for sharing such a inspiring idea!!

Cara said...

WoW!!! That is absolutley stunning! I would say congrats, your first attempt at hand quilting is a huge success! Keep it up- it is fun isn't it? ;)Good for you for finding what is comfortable and consitent for you! can't wait to see more.