2.01.2008

at peace with paper-piece & perfection

When I first dipped my foot into the sea of quilting, I was so reluctant to even begin. Browsing through quilt magazine after quilt magazine, I did not see quilts as I might be able to make--

but I saw these mathematical compositions of precise workmanship.

And then I read that most of these women who win highly deserved applause over their extraordinary quilts held PhD's in some mathemathical field-----well, then! there ya go! (You can not combine the words -math-and -my name- in the same sentence w/o a huge 'rolling of the eyes'.) I suddenly felt a little bit better.
But then I found a book on paper-piecing. Page after page of beautiful blocks. I looked at the directions and -- wow! -- finally! I was able sew precise, straight lines and have the block actually resemble something coherent.
This is where it began....

A trumpet....

A bass, a violin.......


And it becomes this....




2 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

Wow. I am really honored. And touched, too. Thank you. I'm happy that I could encourage you in your quilting and...wow...you've just encouraged me in mine. Mahalo Nui Loa and Warmest Alohas, Lisa

Mary Anne said...

Count me in sister - friend in imperfection!!!! I LOVE Lisa Boyer's books !!!! She just CRACKS me up !!!!....and thanks for the link to her blog ..... I'm zoooooooming right over to visit her!!!