2.13.2008

rick-rack flowers

I found some old rick-rack that my mom was throwing away (what's that saying? ---

"Grandma had it; Mom threw it away; and now I'm buying it back."

Well in this case I didn't have to purchase it, but I did need to jump up and snatch it before she stuffed it into the waste-basket.)

So I started putting colors together. I have this Simplicity pattern from a loooooooooooong time ago and it shows how to make these funky rick-rack flowers.

So this is what I came up with. Not too funky, but actually quite, hmmmm...I don't know. Whimsy-like flowers.

Pretty nifty! I love the 3-dimensional quality of these and oh! the possibilities of where I can put them. Maybe a tote. Or a zippered pouch. Or a dish towel that is-not-to-be-used-it's-only-for-decoration. (Ha. My husband loves those kind of towels.)
Or maybe something added to a quilted wall-hanging. Who knows. I'm still scratching my head about what to do with them. But for now, they look pretty in the sunlight that was streaming through the window.


20 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm certain that neither my mother nor my grandmother have EVER owned a single package of rick-rack. I love how you've made those flowers. The possibilities are endless.

Valerie said...

Oh, those are so fun! LOVE!

Knot Garden said...

How lucky that you were able to save that rick-rack from being thrown away. Great colours and the flowers are lovely.

SuBee said...

Holy cow - those are so cute! can you do a tutorial for those???
I followed links and found you for the first time, and I'm so tickled with your work. The sockless tootsies in the snow cracks me up. THAT'S the difference between youth and age - stuff like that will wreck a grown woman! LOL!!!

Lisa Boyer said...

Those are so precious. I love them! I think they would be adorable on kitchen curtains. Then your husband wouldn't be tempted to touch them either! Or how about pillows? Or on a purse? They're so cute!

Mary Anne said...

OH OH OH !!! I'm hyperventilating over how unbelievably CUTE those are !!!! (..... and , by the way ..... GOOD SAVE re: the rick rack!)

Laura Argelati said...

Hi...I'm Laura from Italy! Lovely blog!
I will link you on my blog and I'd like to invite you to visite also my blog :D

Laura from Italy

Linda said...

REALLY love these! I too love ric rac and use it on LOTS of stuff. I think these would be great on bags and toddler towels!

Applique Frenzy said...

Would love a tutorial

Joy said...

I'll second that motion: Would love a tutorial! Those are adorable and I have two bags of rick rack a friend blessed me with just WAITING for a perfect project like this!

Unknown said...

So sure how their made,,,please,,please

Phyllis D. said...

These flowers are gorgeous. Love the bright colors. I have rick rack in my stash right now ready to be turned into flowers. Would also love a tutorial. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Jacqueline said...

Here are some instructions at the Simpl website: http://www.simplicity.com/t-craft-ideas-rick-rack-flowers.aspx

Anonymous said...

They look great. Would really like to have a tutorial on making these ric rac flowers

Anonymous said...

Oh PLEASE share the instructions on how to make these ADORABLE FLOWERS!!!

You are just taunting us by posting the pictures!!

Oh!!!! It isn’t fair!!!!

:( 

Tina Peterson said...

I was thinking the flower would be really cute on a little girls jumper or skirt.... Would love a tutorial.

Dee said...

Please, please, please print the tutorial or perhaps give us the directions on the pattern. You are so kind to share. Beautiful! Lucky you!

Corrine457 said...

Hi, I adore these flowers, would you please share the tutorial? I'd love to make some with grand daughters, make some to put on totes, and to to frame. Thanks.

sewcraftt said...

My older sister would buy the small rick-rack and earring backings and make earrings to match their outfits. Especially their going dancing outfits.Too bad they never saved any.

Anonymous said...

Simplicity tutorial no longer on the net