4.27.2008

the pattern emerges

Now, whoever thought that you could make such intricate lace patterns with just a simple hook & thread?
Just by yarning over and making a double crochet a pattern emerges.... And this is my favorite part--when you can actually see the pattern appearing.

Right now this doily only measures about 9 inches. The finished size? Only 33 1/2 inches. Only.The picture of the completed doily is so lovely and even tho the rating is challenging...I fell in love with the beauty of such a large crocheted table-top.
Good thing baseball season is starting and since I will be occupying the bleachers at our local youth baseball diamond....well, in between my people-watching, 'woo-hooing' as our son gets up to bat, & trying to clap without upsetting my WIP, I will hopefully be sitting there with a soon-to-be 33 1/2 doily.

10 comments:

Sally said...

Zowie! That's beautiful already. I don't crochet - never can get the tension right...you do beautiful work. Congrats!

Dandelion Quilts said...

You are a patient person that is for sure. Wow.

Dandelion Quilts said...

Hey Dawn.... I've got a big need to know soon kind of question. I see you don't have an email posted....so here I go. I am doing an on point quilt. My first, as I had mentioned I had never done that. I am about to trim it for the border. Do I trim it corner to corner of each block or do I leave about a quarter of an inch beyond the corner so that the it is a perfect triangle? Does this make any sense? I am quite nervous.

Cathie said...

OHHH so pretty! It does seem like a miracle that a simple ball of string can become such a gorgeous thing, so real and substantial, doesn't it?

Thank you for commenting on my blog! You wondered what I do with size 80 thread--exactly the same as with size 10, 20 or 30, and it comes out a little less than half size, very delicate and fine. But it takes a LOT of time and attention; I can't do anything else while I'm working on it... so I kinda leave it for last and keep procrastinating, lol....

I look forward to seeing your table-topper as you work on it; bet it will be just spectacular!

Cath

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful! I really admire your skill, I love to crochet but I'm only accomplished with much larger hooks and yarn.

Unknown said...

Two things, I love your crochet work, but I really love the quilt in your last post!! I love what you have done with the fabrics and the colors are to die for!! Fabulous!!

Liz said...

Stunning... beautiful work. What do you plan to do with it?

Knot Garden said...

33 and a half inches is big! Sounds like a loy of work but it will be stunning when it's finished. Beautiful so far:)

Knot Garden said...

Oops, meant to say a LOT of work:)

Mary Anne said...

SHOW STOPPER !!!! GORGEOUS !!! you have such talent oozing out of those fingertips !!! I'M JEALOUS !!!