4.12.2008

hand quilting

I just returned from a hand-quilting class at our local quilt & fabric store. The teacher , Nadine, has studied extensively with women who only hand sew. She used Alex Anderson's book and was a wealth of information. I soaked up every thing she had to say.

Such as: use polyester instead of cotton batting. I brought cotton. Bring loosely woven muslin. I brought tightly woven muslin. Use #9 quilting needles. I brought #10's.......okay, probably not off to a good start. But once I got the kinks worked out, I L.O.V.E.D. it! Absolutely, feel in love with this whole process. Sheesh! I was giddy after just tracing the stencil....and got a few stares from the other women there with my show of enthusiasm.
And of course, if I need an excuse to make another bag, I will come up with one. Who can show up to their first day of class without a new bag? So I used some fabric from Fat Quarter Shop, an embroidered vintage dresser scarf, and no, couldn't stop there. I also crocheted this chatelaine to hold my needles, thimble and scissors.

It was the first time that I have taken a class such as this and I came home dancing a jig with what I learned.


9 comments:

jacquie said...

Oh Dawn, it's all beautiful! Your handquilting looks just fabulous! I wish mine was even half that good. Maybe I need a class too! Yes!!! Thanks for the tag, I'll work on it soon.

Sally said...

Dawn, your class sounds fabulous! I've taken several hand-quilting classes at quilt camp and found that I really love hand-quilting. I'm fairly impatient, though, and want to see the finished quilt RIGHT NOW! Hence, I usually send them out for quilting. But hand-quilting is, indeed, so much fun and relaxing.

Jenna said...

Your quilting looks great. I've been trying to learn to quilt using the Thimbleladys technique. So far, so good. What I didn't know was to use polyester. I think that is probably a good tip. Cotton seems to dense right? Did you make-up how to do that chain thing or is it a pattern? It is so pretty, you're a whiz with a crochet hook.

Dandelion Quilts said...

Look at that adorable bag...vintage to boot. You are so creative. Glad you enjoyed your class...classes are awesome when you get a good one! Hand sewing, right up your alley. Looks good, too.

Anonymous said...

Your hand quilting looks so beautiful and your crochet pincushion and thimble cover are adorable!!
You are so lucky to meet with such a nice teacher at your class.

Darlene said...

Wow, your stitching is beautiful. Love your crocheted chatelaine and bag. Sweet!

Knot Garden said...

Isn't it nice when you feel energised and ispired. The possibilities seem endless. Your hand quilting is beautiful, and so are the bag and the chatelaine. The vintage embroidery on the bag is precious. Such a great way to use it.

sweetjeanette said...

Being a "bag lady" and lover of old linens I fell in love with this bag, but I can't get over that chatelaine...you made?!?!? Wow! You should so sell those and then tell me where I can get it!!! I love it.

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

zees5 said...

The bag is yummy-beauuuuutiful! Can you show us how to make a chaetelaine? Wow! How do you find the time. I just love your creativity!