11.23.2008

sewing & mending

These last few days before we gather together to give thanks -- I am spending in front of my sewing machine. Yay. I think I might just get this 'Pumpkin Crazy' wall-hanging completed before Thursday!

And yes, if you know me, the most troublesome part of completing something like this is -->the quilting. Between the thread breaking & a complete tangle of threads on the bottom.... I. don't. like. this. part. I know I must be doing something wrong. It is such a hair-pulling endeavor.........and I see all of your quilts and your beautiful quilted stitches -- oh, please, zap some of your gifted sewing talent my way!
~

Hmmm. Or I wonder. Can Santa fit a long-arm in his sleigh?

~~

As for the mending --

Jake is indeed mending after his hit-and-run accident. (Sheesh! Who hits a dog and just drives away?) He is slowly healing and gaining back his playfulness -- much to the delight of everyone in this household.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

If you got a long arm you wouldn't regret it! Although I do use mine everyday for customer's quilts. I love to use it on my own. It is freeing and fun!! I'll send a little wish to Santa for you. I am soooo glad to hear Jake is on the mend. That picture is great, I just want to reach through the computer and give him a hug.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Sounds like you might have a tension problem. One thing that helped me was to get one of those thread holders that sits on the table behind the machine and then you thread the machine. It seemed to flow smoother. blessings, marlene

meggie said...

I am so glad that Jake is recovering! I hadnt read your previous post, so have just read the news. Some people are not people, they are just rotten.

QuiltedSimple said...

I'm so glad that Jake is on the mend!! I'll send some wishes your way for a longarm machine - it's funny, I love the quilting process on my little Bernina, but am not particularly fond of the piecing or basting process (I hate making the same blocks over and over and over....). It looks good - keep sewing!
Kris

jacquie said...

glad jake is doing better. i'm not much for quilting either...i love the piecing and playing with fabric part.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely!!! Dawn - you have done such a great job.

You might try using a much finer thread for your bobbin thread - that reduces any bulk, knots and thread buildup. I either use YLI100 silk or Aurifil Mako #50 weight. They work just perfectly for me each time. A note of caution, depending on your machine, using the YLI100 silk might require some tension adjustment. But once your tension is adjusted right, it quilts like a dream.

Thank you, and thank you for your lovely comment -- I am so encouraged that I have inspired someone else in their quilting journey.

Take care!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I'm so glad Jake is doing much better. He looks like such a sweetie. Give him a smooch for me. Twyla

Wendy said...

Just wanted to say a few things: I'm glad Jake is better;
I love your blog, the mouse are adorable by-the-way;
And I'm sooo with you on the quilting thing, but I dread it because I can never figure out how to design the quilting.
The snarls on the back (bird's nest) is often from not bringing up your bobbin thread to the top first and so it tangles. Hope this helps