11.04.2008

it's a middle child thing

Our middle child tends to go without. She does this, I think, partly because she does not want to be demanding or nagging. Or maybe it's because we middle children are somehow programmed at birth to be sooooooooo accommodating & non-demanding.

Ha.

But when I saw her school bag and saw how torn & ratty it had become, I gave her a stack of books & pictures to browse through for some idea for a new school bag. Just for her.

She paged & paged and looked & looked. She then rough cut a pattern from paper and glued yarn for the right length for the strap. And using fabric that was in my stash -- this is what I/we came up with.

She hasn't seen it yet, but it's hanging on her chair for when she comes home from school.


And, oh, boy, I can almost hear her older sister now -- cue that pre-recorded/highly used phrase -- but that's not fair.........


.grin.

15 comments:

Knot Garden said...

I bet she loves it - I wish I'd had such a lovely bag for school!

Unknown said...

That is absolutely beautiful!! She will love it! A couple of questions, what pattern did you base it from, what fabric is that, and how did you make the flower?? I love them all!

Dandelion Quilts said...

How special, mom. It is very cute and I love the colors. :) Pretty flower, too.

Mary Anne Drury said...

LOVE IT!!! .... the colors, the style, and THAT FLOWER!!!! (was that from a pattern or did you invent that darling flower ? If it's from a pattern, which one! if you invented it, how about a tutorial?!?! -- puhleeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!)

P.S. ..... I'm VERY familiar with the "but that's not fair" song and dance....

Twyla and Lindsey said...

What a lucky girl to have such a talented mother as you! The bag is beautiful. Twyla

Sally said...

How stunning! I want one, too!!! You did a great job interpreting her wishes, Dawn....good job!

QuiltedSimple said...

LOVE THIS! Jessie's been wanting a messenger bag - and I keep putting her off. Maybe I should break down and make her one....maybe. This looks so great though!
Kris

Suzy said...

It's adorable! Love the colors and that flower is tooooo cuuuute. Better get ready to make one for your other daughter. BTW, I want one too! LOL! :o)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I too am a middle child so I know exactly what you're talking about. The bag is just wonderful! blessings, marlene

SewAmy said...

It is beautiful. What a wonderful mom you are.

Anonymous said...

WOW - what a pretty bag! You are such a model mom!!! Love the colors and everything about it!

Thanks for visiting me and leaving the super sweet comment on my pillow! :)

inkberryblue said...

Gosh, that's soooo pretty. The pictures are lovely too. Your daughter is a lucky girl!

Anonymous said...

That is super cute and what an awesome surprise for your middle child.

RG said...

Dawn...how much did she love it!!!!?
I bet she had tears and a big grin!!
You're a neat Mum!!
Good girl :o)...and it's soooo beautiful!!!!

Rob xx

Cathie said...

Oh I love it! great job!!

Cath