1.28.2010

hip to be backed


.

Talk about sturdy.
,
Using my J afghan hook, I finished my 'hip to be square' potholder. And wow. The sturdiness of this Sugar 'n Cream cotton & layering 2 layers of tunisian -- well, this will be more than heat-resistant for taking warm things out of our oven.

.

,
And I love the look and feel of using this loooooooong hook. A hook big enough for the *BFG.
.

*(Our kids get such a kick out of this

literary favorite -- and whenever we

come across something super huge,

their response is always ---

"Wow, that's big enough for the BFG.")

.


At first, I was intimidated by tunisian. I mean! That hook! That wonky way of keeping stitches on the hook. Forward Pass. Forward Return Pass. ??? (Yes. You can count on me for looking at something and figuring it is way too hard -- so why even try it.)
.


.
But thank goodness, the intrigue of of so many beautifully made things is motivation enough for me to stay-on-task. And the absolute satisfaction of being able to do something I deemed way too difficult.....
.

.
....well, that is always a huge hurdle for me.
.
One I'm glad I can finally get over. Because feeling those stitches emerge -- that is a definite sort of tactile satisfaction. And of course -- just the simple beauty of doing.
.
THIS describes it perfectly.
.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful, great post!

Tudy said...

I sure turned out very well. I love the look of that stitch. Where did you get the pattern? I like the back as well as the front.

Kristine Mullen said...

In your opinion, is tunisian hard, or just intimidating? Just curious, seeing as I've wanted to give it a try for a very long time.

Becca said...

I love to crochet and so really enjoyed your blog today. I had never heard of tunisian pattern but I am inspired to try after going through your blog. Thank you for sharing.

PBF Collection said...

Wow! This is another cute project. I love to knit but I just started taking classes and learning how to crochet. And I must admit that a lot of things you've been making...including this one... inspired me a lot. Thank you so much for sharing.

QuiltedSimple said...

It is lovely. I love the colors. You amaze me - beautiful!
Kris

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Gorgeous! Yes BFG.

StitchinByTheLake said...

As usual Dawn you do the neatest things! blessings, marlene