8.08.2014

review: VINTAGE KNIT


I was asked by LAURENCE KING PUBLISHING LTD  if I would like to review this book: VINTAGE KNIT.

Hmmm.

Let's see...



1.  Pictured above is just a sampling of the many vintage knit & crochet books that I have in my possession (psssst!  I am obsessed with owning these!  I hunt these down.  Devour them.  Search the world wide for them.)

2.  I love to read books.  'Nuf said.

3.  And then there is knitting.  Sweet, sweet knitting.



So when I was asked to review a book that "offers lovers of retro style 25 beautiful knitting patterns from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s"...



..well?  Yes!  How fast can you get it here?

And this book does not disappoint!  While there are some patterns I would never attempt because they are so not my style, there are just as many lovely, LOVELY sweaters and cardigans that I would love to see will see on my needles.

But wait a minute!

A few pages into the book and I read this:

VINTAGE KNIT is aimed at intermediate--advanced knitters.

What?  I am definitely NOT that.  There is no way I can do any of these patterns.

But then I read this key statement:

The main thing to anticipate when approaching an older pattern is often patience.

I read that sentence over.  And over.  And over.



And then sat down to attempt to knit a proper swatch.  Proper, indeed!  It actually came out!

Then held my breath and cast on for the back.



and look!  ---> an actual back of a cardigan with increases and decreases for shoulders and arms.




I have never (huge emphasis on NEVER) made a garment.  Whether is be sewn, crocheted or knitted -- I have never been able to get over that invisible - but very obvious - hurdle of completing a home-made garment.

So if this sweater gets completed -- then this book is quite possibly one of the best knitting books I have ever owned.





11 comments:

Anita said...

One thing I love about vintage patterns is that you can at least understand the instructions. I can't get on with this ssk that seems to be around these days...why don't they just say k2 tog or sl1, k1? lol The patterns look great.
Cheers, Anita.

Kris said...

I collect the old books too. I love them! Good luck on your garment. Looks like you are well on your way!!
xo Kris

marmarel said...

Most of the time I'm crocheting. And long, long ago I made the (for me) wise decision I would never try to knit big projects again. Because they will never finish. But when I read this, I start to doubt again... ;-)
Greetings from Marijke

Jacqui Galloway said...

What a coup! I absolutely adore vintage knitting books and Patterns. Have a huge collection.
jacqui x

annemarie said...

What an accomplishment - you can be proud of yourself!! I would love to learn to knit - I know the basics and that is it. These vintage books look so inviting.

Jeanne said...

Congratulations, Dawn on being asked to review this book and for attempting to complete your first garment. Your knitting looks fabulous so far! What a treasure trove of patterns you have already! They look fantastic. I adore your spirit of adventure and willingness to try new things. Cannot wait to see the finished sweater! :)

Krawuggl said...

Wow, how wonderful is this, to review such a lovely book! I'm loving vintage designs, too, but have never knitted them, the instructions always seemed too difficulty to me. Now I am looking forward your sweater, I so much hope that you will finish it, looks so cosy and lovely.
Have a great weekend and thanks for introducing us this book,
with best wishes,
Suzi

Marilyn said...

First.... did you see her waist???? 😃😃😃.
Second, one stitch at a time... one row at a time. Slow and steady makes the sweater... it looks lovely already. still a long time to winter!!!
PS thank you for they lovely comment... made my day... my whole week actually. xx :)

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Great review! I love what you've knitted so far. It's going to be so pretty. How exciting to make your first garment. Yay!

((hugs))

bas ketball said...

There is a slight drop encountered on both platforms, but Digital Foundry seems fairly certain that the problem lies with the engine’s ability to stream in the assets fast enough.

cheap runescape gold

ss junlin said...

The AMD 7-series contains three different chipsets: the AMD 790FX at the very outstanding end, the AMD 790X at the merely outstanding end, and the AMD 770 at the buy rs gold. A big distinction between the chipsets is primarily the extensive variety of movie credit cards each one supports.