6.10.2013

enthusiasm


Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. 
Sir Winston Churchill




It seemed no matter what I attempted I was met with failure.
Crochet.
Knitting.
Any type of stitching.
Fail.
Fail.
Fail.

And my enthusiasm died.

But then I picked up this book for the 1,000,000th time and wondered for the 1,000,001th time if I could possibly make something from all of these beautiful patterns...




I kept coming back to the Horseshoe Cable Socks.  They were more than yummy and way out league as far as what I could attempt.




Heh.  heh.

Until I tried them.

What?

These are easy.  

And so utterly beautiful (and if I have to tip my hat to Tonia who has the greatest technique for knitting these horseshoe cables WITHOUT a cable needle!)

I  couldn't believe it!  These were flying off of my needles!  

No failure.  Just complete, satisfying success.




And so now I once again have something in my hands.  

And I am once again enthusiastic about sticks and yarn.





11 comments:

Sally said...

Dawn, those socks are so beautiful...you did a fantastic job of them. So proud of you!

Michelle said...

The cables are staggeringly elegant! Great work!

benu said...

the trick is never give up ... great lesson that u are giving out for all fellow crocheters ...
and awesome work ...

Taci simmons said...

That is so wonderful... Both the socks and the fact that you kept trying till you made it! That is the secret to success:) beautiful.

Jeanne said...

Oh golly, Dawn, these are beautiful socks. What a great pattern and terrific color! I'm sorry you have had a rough go of it lately with regards to yarn projects. Thanks for sticking with it though and trying again (and again, and again). For if you hadn't, you wouldn't have been able to create these beauties!

No joke, I was thinking about you and your blog last week and thinking I hadn't seen you post in a while and hoped you were okay. Yay, you are! *Ü*

Anonymous said...

Those are simply stunning. I love the pattern so much, and your photography is top notch :)

Charlotte said...

Welcome back. I missed seeing your wonderful projects that seem to be fabulous successes, including these beautiful socks!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you back on the blog, I missed your posts very much! I disagree of you, I think your projects very well executed and your doilies inspired me to crocheted them again! The socks looks very beautiful too! Eliane

Dianne said...

Congratulations! I've made one pair of socks and am trying to get the courage to knit another pair. You give me hope!

cristina said...

I simply don't understand why you say you failed on everything. show me only one failure and maybe i'll belive you.
you make such beauties, worked so nice (almost perfect, i may say) and you say you fail??? no way!
btw, what happened with the doily from the previous post?

Rachel said...

The book that sock pattern came from is one of my favourite 'go to' knitting books. If you're not into knitting big things and couldn't afford to anyway and you like to buy small amounts of nice yarn this book is just the ticket. Great for gift-giving while satisfying the need to knit.