12.09.2012

dressy towel-topper tutorial



I made one of these dressy towel-toppers last Christmas just by 'winging it' you could say.  No pattern.  Just stitch after stitch.  A little bit of ripping out.  A little bit of head-scratching and I had a dressy towel-topper, but still no pattern.



Well, some of you asked if I could possibly do a pattern for this.  

Oh, golly.  Me & numbers?  Me & strategy?  Not such a good thing.

But here you go (and any mistakes [there may be many] let me know!)


*+*+*+*+*+*
What you need:
size G hook
worsted weight yarn
kitchen towel ( I bought mine at Target)
sewing thread
sewing needle
button

Each round ends with a slip stitch to close.
Ch 3 at beginning of each round counts as 1st dc



Begin by chaining 28.  Slipstitch to close ring.



Rnd. 1--- Ch 1, work 1 sc in each sc around -- 28 sc. 



Rnd 2--- Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc) 1 dc in same stitch, 1 dc in next sc 
*2 dc in next sc, 1 dc in next sc* repeat * around.  -- 42 dc



Rnd 3---  Ch 3, 1 dc in the next 2 dc, ch 3 
*1 dc in the next 3 dc, ch 3*
repeat * around -- 14 sets of 3dc.  Fasten off.



Rnd 4--- Join new color in ch 3 space, Ch 3, dc2tog, ch 3, dc3tog 
* dc3tog, ch 3, dc3tog* in each 3 chain space
repeat * around

You will have 14 -- dc3tog, ch 3, dc3tog clusters.  Fasten off.



NOTE! This round includes many pics
Rnd 5---Join new color in any ch 3 space.  Ch 3, 1dc, ch 2, 2dc in ch 3 space
*2dc, ch 2, 2dc in next ch 3 space in the next ch 3 space

1 dc between the 3rd dc and 1st dc of next cluster (see pic)

Now you have to pinch your piece together to form the sleeves of the dress.  You will have 4 groups of  2dc, ch 2, 2dc that you will be pinching in your left hand.  Yarn over and slip your hook under both layers of 'sleeve'...
 ...to complete the next dc in that same space as the first dc.*  
Sound confusing?  It might! -- but if you look at it like it's an actual sleeve that you are trying to form --- it looks easier than what you might think.  I hope the next 3 pics can help you see what I am trying to describe.


Rnd 5 continues -- repeat from * 3 more times.



Rnd 6--- Slip stitch to first ch 2 space.  Ch 3, 1 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in chain 2 space
*2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in each ch 2 space, 1 dc in each dc* that forms the underarm of sleeve (see pic)
Repeat from * to end




Rnd 7--- repeat rnd 6




Rnd 8--- Join new color.  Ch 4 (counts as 1st tr), 5 tr in ch 2 space
*6 tr in each ch 2 space
2 tr in each dc in underarm of sleeve*  Repeat from* to end


Add a hanger:
On the top edge, I added the hanger by sc into 5 stitches of the collar.  



And then just a simple back and forth of sc and ch 1 (turning ch) until you reach the desired length of you hanger.
Optional: I added a blue sc border to the bottom edge.  You may or may not do this --- it's your choice.


I hand-sewed a button to attach to hanger to the front part of the dress.


I'm not sure if there is method to attaching this to a towel, but I do know that I don't like it when the towel is cut in half.  So I used the entire towel and just hand-sewed a gathering stitch right along the center of the towel to create a rouching effect.


I then folded the towel in half and gathered the towel until it was the width as the bottom edge of the towel-topper...


...and hand-sewed the crocheted top to the towel.


And there you have your dressy towel-topper!






17 comments:

Go Crochet!!! said...

Good idea!! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Such a cute twist on the towel topper! Love it. I'm going to have to pass this along to my mother-in-law who's been making towels as gifts each season.

Jeanne said...

This is very sweet, Dawn. I love the colors in the towel and how the yarn matches so nicely. It looks fantastic and as I glanced through the pattern, it made sense to me! Good job and thanks for taking on the tutorial!

Beansieleigh said...

So-oooo SWEET! I will definitely have to try these! Thanks for sharing how! ~tina

ZHOBEYDA said...

HOLA AMIGA, TUS TRABAJOS SON HERMOSO, TE FELICITO, QUE DIOS BENDIGA TU CREATIVIDAD.. AHORA TE SIGO, VISITAME PARA QUE VEAS LO QUE YO HAGO TAMBIEN MUY HUMILDEMENTE..!
SIEMPRE SERAS BIENVENIDA..
ZHOBEYD@....

Anonymous said...

Hi
i tried the patteren its very nice thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

I like seeing new crochet ideas every time I read your blog. Keep it up.

Anna-Erika said...

Thank you for your comment at my place!
Smart idea, this towel.
//a-e

Annie said...

I love this towel topper pattern. However, I am struggling with round 5 where I would be slipping the hook under 'both layers of sleeve' part. Could you further elaborate?

Dawn said...

Sorry, Annie! Think of what you have crocheted so far (before rnd 5) as a bracelet -- it's a circle of crochet that you could slip on your wrist like a bracelet. But now in rnd 5 you are going to pinch together your 'bracelet' and crochet thru both sides of your bracelet to form a sleeve of sorts. And when you hold it up you should be able to see that you can stick your finger in this small section of 'sleeve' and there is a section of bodice and another 'sleeve' just by crocheting thru 2 layers of this 'bracelet' that you once had. (Ugh! This is probably more confusing, but I hope it helps....)

Annie said...

Thank you so much for clarifying. One more question, in round 5, after the first 2 clusters (2 dc, ch 2 , 2 dc), i did the (1 dc between the 3rd dc and 1st dc of next cluster) through both layers of the sleeves. Is that what you meant?

Dawn said...

Yes, Annie!☺ You are correct...and I sincerely apologize in the lateness of getting back to you.

(I hope my directions become more clear for you [I know how much easier it is for me if I can actually see it being done] and let me know how the rest of the pattern goes for you!☺)

janice15 said...

I just love it and I love the colors that you choose as well. like to try this sometime..ty Janice p.s. I'm your newest follower.

rose77 said...

I Love. This I want to make.this. But. I was.wondering. Make a topper and a bag holder all in one would that look cute. I guess. I will have to try it I am new here ladies any knew ideas for Christmas would greatly appreciated. For my 4 dauhters and gramdbabies I have 10 under the ages of 8

Anonymous said...

I got a little confused at the double crochet for the sleeve. It looks like the first double crochet was done before it was pinched together and then another after it was pinched together. Mine did not look right for some reason so I just pinched it together and did one double crochet through both sides and then turned it and continued on the other side. It seemed to work that way. May not be right, but it worked good enough.

yarninmama57 said...

I am also having trouble understanding this part.

Chris said...

Love this. Years ago my Aunt made us all some of these. The pattern was a little different. Your pattern was easier from what I found. Thank you!