7.31.2010

and a cherry on top



Oh.  To go back in time.  I would love to sit at the feet of women past and just absorb all of their tried-n-true techniques.




One of those techniques would have to be the fashioning of lace from a broomstick. 


*Who ever thought of using a broomstick?
*And why?
*Was it a popular method for women to crochet lace?
*Are there examples of this type of lace in someone's archives somewhere?
*That I could see?  Touch? 


Well, I didn't use a broomstick handle for this crocheted broomstick lace -- but my Boye 50 plastic knitting needle and this book:







The patterns & directions in this book are sooooooo easy to understand.





And of course, the book includes a pattern for the cutest dishcloth.




The crochet cotton is from my stash and I used my G hook.

And since I seem to obsessed with cherries of late (btw -- my sister must have taken extreme pity on me after my mushy-gushy fiasco [aka -> Dawn's attempt at cherry pie] because she baked me the most delicious home-made cherry pie.....which I ate all by myself reluctantly shared.)

But this dishcloth needed a little something extra.

So I browsed this fabulous book:

cutest cherry pattern ever in here!


And found just what I was looking for!


Ohhh. There's nothin' like a cherry on top.
/
/
/
/
/
/

19 comments:

Aisyah Helga said...

That dishcloth is gorgeous,Dawn! And the cherries are so cute!! I would like to try this stitch someday...

SUADDA said...

So lovely! But such a pity to use it as dishcloth! =)

L Johnson said...

Beautiful colors!

Caroline said...

Very pretty!

giufra said...

Ciao...mani d'oro!!!!!! Buon fine settimana!! Antonella

Dandelion Quilts said...

Love those cherries...so cute.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Oh yes, I remember it, and actually made it too!! But do I still have any or any photos - no! Sorry. You've got it right though, but better with a cherry.

Killiecrankie Farm said...

what a great effect - I've never heard of broomstick lace before - sounds like a new thing to learn - off to the library !

Lilibet said...

So pleased I found your blog.Have recently got into crochet & found you via Ravelry.You have really inspired me to try new techniques.Love this broomstick lace pattern.Off for more of a browse through your blog.
Lizzie.

sylviesgarden said...

Wow, that is amazing! Very clever.
I wouldn't be able to use it as a dishcloth, it's far too nice.
x

LiaGovers said...

Wow: a marvellous crochet-pattern and I like the colors you used for it!

515152 said...

人生中最好的禮物就是屬於自己的一部份..................................................

Márcia said...

Hello Dawn
Very beautiful this technique, I've seen around, but never did, do not know, but you ran perfectly, the color is gorgeous and cherry. I love to eat cherries, they were delicious!
Kiss!


Márcia

文王廷 said...

世間事沒有一樣沒有困難,只要有信心去做,至少可以做出一些成績。..................................................

Rachel D. said...

Thank you Dawn, for making me discover a new technique. Yes, I could easily imagine what women "of the past" could have tought us. So many marvelous techniques we will have to discover by ourselves. Thank you for sharing. I just love the color combination.

Fruitful Fusion said...

I've just found your blog and it's SOOOOOO beautiful! This dishcloth is gorgeous! Going to have a good look around at the rest of your lovely work!!!

LesQuilts said...

Hi Dawn! I remember using this too. My mom-in-law used to do the same thing to make baby blankets!
I couldn't find your email address, I wanted to let you know I used your flower petal tutorial to make 2 items, I have pictures on my blog if you would like to have a look. Thanks again for the tutorial!
lesquilts.blogspot.com
lesquilts@gmail.com
Take care, Leslie

Sandra said...

I love the pattern! :)

Carla said...

Oh wow - gorgeous!

I tried the broomstick lace for the first time yesterday - but don't have knitting needles so used a thick whiteboard marker - suffice to say that it didn't work out so well, but seeing this pattern - definitely have to give it another go.